Sunday, February 22, 2015

Global Collaboration Reflection


PROMPT:
What was your level of global awareness before entering 7th grade? How have your collaborations and projects with your Indian and Swedish pen pals changed your level of global awareness? How has your perspective on other cultures changed through your collaboration? What has been the most interesting/shocking/funny thing you have learned so far?

MY RESPONSE:

     My level of global awareness before entering 7th grade was minimum. I didn't typically read articles about the world, our country, etc. I usually read what I was supposed to read for Battle of the Books and other homework assignment. Now as a successful 7th grader I feel that I like reading articles about the World as a whole now. When I say "as a whole" I mean that I don't just focus on one topic, I read a wide variation of different articles for the Article of the Week. I read the articles because I have to, but in my spare time I read the newspaper to just know what is happening in this world of ours. In 6th grade I wasn't aware of what was happening in our world.

     My collaborations and projects with my Swedish and Indian pen pals has changed my level of global awareness because I've learned the differences and similarities between me and them. I have always thought that people from different countries think differently,enjoy different hobbies, like different music, etc., but now I see that is not true, we have differences and similarities. For instance, my Swedish pen pal and I have similarities, we both celebrate Christmas, New Years and Santa comes on Christmas Eve. On the other hand, I have also seen difference between us, like for their New Years they do not have any special traditions, but my family has traditions like everyone must eat eight grapes, and each grape stands for a wish for the new year.

     My perspective on other countries changed throughout the collaboration because I know a little more about different cultures and traditions. I have gained knowledge from the Swedish and Indian pen pals, from their traditions, culture, sports, hobbies, school, and etc. I now do not think that if your culture isn't my culture it means there isn’t any similarities. but there will also be differences. No matter what culture you are we are all the same in our own different ways.


     The most interesting thing I have learned so far was how polite my Indian pen pal is. She would say “give my regards to your family” and be very nice. I've also noticed from everyone else's pen pals that they are also as polite. I infer that in India they must be very polite, and it is part of their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment